Re: Hot backups vs RMAN, the rebuttal

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 01:33:58 -0800

I think your list of reasons for using RMAN is incomplete.

The database backup window may need to be shrunk not because the database is so big, but because there are a lot of systems to backup, and they use a lot of time and tape.

RMAN backs up blocks, hot backup backs up files.

Also, finding and retrieving the correct files for restoration is rather tricky when using a tape library. It can be somewhat error prone. A recovery at odd hours doesn't help much.

When you have an automated repository that can be told 'restore database', and it knows the file names to request and makes that request to the tape management system, restores are simplified.

SQL Backtrack was good for that, and now RMAN.

Our tape library is rather small, and I'm still thankful that I don't have to browse it for database files to do a restore.

At a previous employer, we used a couple of StorageTek silos: you don't really want to browse that to get all the correct files for a database. Try it when you have several hundred files.

Dave, it seems that you do work for clients scattered all around, hot backups probably works best for you.

Yes, RMAN adds some complexity. It also adds some power and efficiency.

Just test those recoveries. :)

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com