RE: How to create a new oracle database from SVRMGRL??

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 19:08:46 -0800

If I may be so bold as to add a few details on a UNIX server you can just fire up sqlplus (or svrmgrl for older versions of Oracle) and issue the create database statement. On a Windows server you must first create the service with oradim. For example:

%ORACLE_HOME%\bin\oradim -NEW -SID %ORACLE_SID% -startmode m -pfile D:\Oradmin\%ORACLE_SID%\pfile\init%ORACLE_SID%.ora -intpwd my_secret_password -maxusers 4

-startmode m means startmode manual - the instance must be manually started
after system reboot.
-intpwd is the password for the sys user
-maxusers 4 is the maximum number of users that can be given SYSDBA
capability

Once you've created the database and all the tablespaces, you may want to do the following to avoid annoying warnings everytime you startup SQL*Plus: create PRODUCT_PROFILE with this script
$ORACLE_HOME/sqplus/admin/pupbld.sql
(I usually create it in the SYSTEM schema)

Create Plus_Trace role
$ORACLE_HOME/sqplus/admin/plustrce.sql

To install SQL*Plus help, look for a file called %ORACLE_HOME%\bin\helpins.bat on windows $ORACLE_HOME/bin/helpins on UNIX

Finally, don't forget to change the passwords for SYS, SYSTEM, and other users automatically created by the database creation scripts. And change the TEMPORARY tablespace for users to something other than SYSTEM.

Author: Jacques Kilchoer
  INET: Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Feb 05 2003 - 21:08:46 CST