RE: Hanging query puzzle

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 17:28:50 -0800

Jeff,

If you see the SEQ# field in the v$session_wait view not incrementing, then something else, other than Oracle, is causing a hang up...

On AIX, if you have AIO enabled, try running 'aiostat'. It will show if there are any pending AIO requests. The difficult part would be to relate those pending calls to your session. It is quite likely that a particular AIO server may show waits on I/O, if this hang up is IO related. You can try 'pstat' to find out AIO server processes and associated 'pid' to dig deeper.

If you do not have 'aiostat', ring up IBM Support. It is a nice utility to have, and it is free.

For those on AIX 5L, can you please check if 'aiostat' is available as a standard distribution? I was told by IBM Support that 'aiostat' was going to be available with AIX 5L.

Author: Deshpande, Kirti
  INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com