RE: Windows 2000 Cluster on oracle

From: Stephen Lee <Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 14:42:25 -0800

The biggest problem that I have seen is (to me anyway) not one of stability (I'll leave that to the bare-metal boys to argue about) but that it is not really multi-user. I think it only supports two users.

  1. You're an administrator and can do anything you want.
  2. You're not an administrator and can't do squat.

The idea of an application owner, somewhere in between -- someone who needs to stop and start the app; install patches and upgrades to the app; but only have access to his/her stuff and nobody else's stuff -- doesn't seem to be well supported. So the person who has a web app on the same box as your database has complete access (or can take it) to any of your stuff.

Then there is the issue of all the missing Unix scripting utilities ... which I suppose you can install ... if you are *THE* administrator and not just *AN* administrator ... because we sure don't want *AN* administrator pissing off *THE* administrator ... which the Oracle DBA in a company of any size probably is not. And you have to listen to *THE* administrators constantly whine about the Oracle DBA being *AN* administrator, and "accidentally" revoking the DBA's admin privileges from time to time.

Then there is the issue of doing all your admin stuff on a 28K dial-up line after hours; NOT where you want to use a GUI! But *THE* administrators have only made provision for their easy dial-up access; and screw anyone who might only be *AN* administrator.

> Windows is cheaper than SUN. Linux is cheaper than Windows.

Try comparing prices for a large Dell Xeon box versus a Sun V880 box. The bigger you get, the more competitive the mainline Unix boys get.

-

Author: Stephen Lee
  INET: Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com