RE: Where is result set maintained?

From: Richard Ji <richard.ji_at_mobilespring.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 12:44:32 -0800

Stole right from asktom. Thanks Tom. :)

We do not build the result set anywhere in general.

If you do select * from one_billion_row_table -- we fetch the data from the table as needed -- the results start coming back IMMEDIATELY not after we've fetched the last row.

For certain types of queries we might build part of the result set or all of it
(depends). This would take place in RAM upto sort_area_size bytes and then we
would start paging that out to TEMP.

We find rows 100 to 115 by maintaining a state, called a cursor, on the server.
It tells us where we left off and where to begin.

Richard Ji

Author: Paul Baumgartel
  INET: treegarden_at_yahoo.com

Author: Richard Ji
  INET: richard.ji_at_mobilespring.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Feb 05 2003 - 14:44:32 CST