RE: 9i "Reliability" means ?

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:09:11 -0800

Vivek

   To me "reliability" means "won't break". Difficult to get hard data.    You might consider changing the name to "availability", which to me covers not just reliability, but all aspects of my application being available to my users. Things like dynamic parameters can be very important because I may be able to avoid a database "bounce" just to change a parameter. We've all been there, done that. Oracle nicely divides Oracle9i features up into those that contribute to a higher availability. Take a look at the following paper under "Availability": http://technet.oracle.com/products/oracle9i/pdf/9idb_rel2_features.pdf The Student Guide for the Oracle9i New Features for Administrators class has a chapter titled "General High Availability Technology".

   Just some thoughts for you to consider.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: VIVEK_SHARMA
  INET: VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infosys.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Feb 05 2003 - 11:09:11 CST