RE: US Travel for the DBA

From: David Wagoner <dwagoner_at_arsenaldigital.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 06:52:46 -0800

Dave,

I can see how frustrating the new regulations must be for you, and many others who are accustomed to very lax US regulations regarding foreign visitors.

I'll be traveling to Italy soon, and I learned that I will have to leave my passport with any hotel receptionist for a couple of hours while my information is given to the local police. To my knowledge, this is standard protocol there- not a recent policy based on terrorism.

A few years ago, I traveled to Holland and was very surprised to see military police looking guys in the Schipoll airport (Amsterdam) carrying machine guns. Before entering our departure gate seating area, everyone on my plane was thoroughly questioned about itinerary, personal belongings, where did we stay, what did we do, who did we visit, etc.

My point is that the US is just now catching up to the rest of the world with respect to security, in many respects. Is it fair to be singled out because someone has Middle-Eastern heritage? Of course not, but until the US regains some sense of security there will no doubt be some growing pains in the development of new security practices.

Best regards,

David B. Wagoner
Database Administrator
Arsenal Digital Solutions Worldwide, Inc. 8000 Regency Parkway, Suite 100
Cary, NC 27511-8582
Office (919) 466-6723
Mobile (919) 412-8462
Pager 8666864767_at_archwireless.net