RE: Which rollback segment is currently active?

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 16:33:55 -0800

David

This query will show sessions using rollback segments:

select  s.username,  s.sid,       rn.name,     rs.extents

,rs.status, t.used_ublk, t.used_urec
,do.object_name
from v$transaction t
,v$session s
,v$rollname rn
,v$rollstat rs
,v$locked_object lo
,dba_objects do
where t.addr = s.taddr and t.xidusn = rn.usn and rn.usn = rs.usn and t.xidusn = lo.xidusn(+) and do.object_id = lo.object_id;

If you offline a rollback segment that a transaction is using, Oracle puts it in "offline pending" status.

   Bigger question: What are you trying to do? Do you feel you have too many rollback segments? Usually I create a new rollback segment and put it online before I take one offline.

   If you remove a rollback segment, remember to change init.ora. When you start up again, if Oracle can't find a rollback segment listed in init.ora, it won't start.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com