Re: RAC on Linux vs Support

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 10:52:01 -0800

Dave,

Of course, upgrading the kernel on older versions is not always a non-trivial exercise.

Jared

Dave Morgan <dvmrgn_at_1001111.com>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 02/04/2003 09:25 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RAC on Linux vs Support

Hi All,
                 RH is nothing more than a kernel and libraries. If you
have the correct kernel, (and OWS does not ask about compiled in options)
and the correct libraries, lie and say it is RH whatever. There are a couple of good analysts in OWS who do understand the the OS is Linux not Redhat. Personnaly I file less TARs for Linux than any other OS, and my work is split 40% Linux, 40% Solaris, 10% HP and 10% AIX.

And I like AIX best of all. That mainframe heritage shows!

It's no wonder that some sysadmins get frustrated with DBA's. If anyone came to me and said it's not working because it's Redhat 6.2 instead of Redhat 7.3 I would say, and I quote

                 " ARE YOU AN IDIOT?"

and then start him/her on a serious reading program.

Oracle runs fine on any of the 2.2.4 and greater kernels as well as any of the 2.4 kernels. Please note this is not a definitive list

Joe, run with raw devices and you should have no troubles. Iam not sure what kernel they appeared in but....

I have not used openssi but I had alot of fun playing with Beowulf when it first came out. Not that I ever got it successfully running, but it was fun :-)

Currently running a pre-prod 8.0.5 on Slackware 1.12
(patched to kernel 2.2.10) doing 100 test transactions a day
with a continuous uptime of 388 days. (The only reason it is still around is because of the uptime :-)

And various Oracle 8.1.6, 8.1.7 on Redhat 6.2 patched to 2.4.19 in production across Europe and NA.

Technically every single one of these instances is unsupported. Yet they rarely give their owners problems. It gives me problems because I have to keep looking for new work instead of living off of old work. Maybe I should go back to living off Windoze? :-)

Dave

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com