Antwort: RE: OT: Cron not working

From: <Alex.Apostolopoulos_at_secartis.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 07:44:27 -0800

Vladimir:

"fuser /var/log/cron" and "lsof" might be a starting point to find out what went wrong.

It will give you a list of programs that currently have this inode open. If one of these programs has opened the logfile in blocking mode then other programs will simply sit there and wait or time out depending on the implementation ( ioctl,termio ) when they try to open the logfile. Under some circumstances it is possible that the kernel (who keeps the list of open inodes and their condition) does not get notified when the program
owning this inode died, rarly happens as kernels are quite robust. Therefor I am sure a reboot would have solved the problem as well allthought not recomended.

So you would have to inspect the relevant kernel tables (adb on hp-ux, maybe
the /proc directory under red hat offers help here). The reason why it worked when you deleted and touched the file was because it then has received a new inode as "ls -i" would show and therefore the related
lock is pointing to another destination. After the fopen only the inode is relevant
not the name any more.

of course if cron is not working the first thing you should check is if the daemon
is running :-)))

HTH cheers alex

                      <John.Hallas_at_voda
                      fone.co.uk>               An:      Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      Gesendet von:             Kopie:
                      root_at_fatcity.com          Thema:   RE: OT: Cron not working

                      04.02.2003 15:39
                      Bitte antworten
                      an ORACLE-L

Vladimir,
I have seen 2 replies to questions today that were less than tactful, yours and one regarding awk & ksh
If you post a message asking for help and someone tries to help then it is bad manners to be critical of that help.

I am replying to this because I also replied to your post with some basic info on the use of cron, the same as Robert did. If we both read your mail and thought you had minimal knowledge of cron then
perhaps your post was at fault , not those who offer help.

Glad to hear you have sorted the problem anyway

John

Author: <John.Hallas_at_vodafone.co.uk
  INET: John.Hallas_at_vodafone.co.uk

  INET: Alex.Apostolopoulos_at_secartis.com