Re: re SHUTDOWN ABORT -- was RE: Debate on rc commands Solaris and

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 01:23:45 -0800

Alter system checkpoint... You don't say...

Hey, this is the first time this thread has concluded without the usual "you guys better watch out b/c yer gonna break your database!" post.

I'd say this universal support for ABORT over IMMEDIATE represents a dramatic change in the prevailing DBA attitude over, say, two years ago.

How do you suppose that happened?

:-)

The only dissenter was Dan. Dan, what's the difference between a kernel transaction and a regular transaction? Are you talking about the O/S kernel or Oracle? Can you explain in more detail what the kernel transaction does to make Oracle unrecoverable after ABORT?

I'm still mulling over that 'alter system checkpoint.' Sounds familiar.

--
Jeremiah Wilton
http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Jeremiah Wilton INET: jwilton_at_speakeasy.net Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).