re SHUTDOWN ABORT -- was RE: Debate on rc commands Solaris and

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:28:38 -0800

Comparing the shutdown scenarios with what would happen if someone were to "pull the plug" on the server is the best way to explain the behaviour of Oracle.
What if

  1. Someone switched-off the server [there's a power failure and the UPS doesn't kick in] ?
  2. The server crashes with a Unix Panic well, the Oracle instance dies and yet, [as long as the disks are still good, even if you have to do an "fsck"] there's Instance Recovery which goes through successfully. So what's the problem with SHUTDOWN ABORT ? Its about the same thing, but not as bad.

I consistently use SHUTDOWN ABORT, STARTUP RESTRICT, SHUTDOWN NORMAL on Production, Mission-Critical databases. I've never had a problem with a SHUTDOWN ABORT.
Even a clone of an ABORTed instance can work if the online redo logs and current
control-file are also cloned !

I have seen SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE hang very many times [particularly when DBMS_JOB jobs are running or the un-intelligent Intelligent Agent is connected].

Hemant

Hemant K Chitale
My web site page is : http://hkchital.tripod.com

Author: Hemant K Chitale