RE: Debate on rc commands Solaris and Oracle

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:29:19 -0800

Dan,

If you look at Rama Velpuri's most famous treatise on B & R - namely 'Oracle8 Backup & Recovery Handbook' (Oracle Press), you will see the path that the various shutdown options take. [Page 43, Chapter 2: The Oracle Architecture and Configuration]. I belive this is the closest that we could come to a published look under the covers. Some one mentioned a switch logfile prior to the shutdown abort. In any case, a shutdown abort would not be as bad as someone pulling the plug on the juice (as in Cleaning lady: 'I need to plug in my hoover... aaah - here's a socket I can use). The instance goes down not-so-gracefully, but the disk is still safe as long as the server stays up.

Just my $0.02.
John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

I don't know what the future holds for me, but I do know who holds my future!

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com