Re[2]: HELP!!! : Can't start database - Rollback Datafiles a

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 14:39:47 -0800

Steve,

    Not totally true. We did something similar, except that we forgot one of the temp tablespace datafiles. Oracle in it's infinite wisdom created a file 'MISSING00064' in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. The only way out of that is to offline drop the datafile while mounted, meaning you've read the controlfile. Then when you open the database the tablespace stays offline & you can drop it and it's contents thereby cleaning up the data dictionary. Yes, you can't do that with the rollback segments on line either, which is why you need to comment them out of the init.ora.

Dick Goulet

Author: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date:       1/31/2003 2:14 PM

Veronica Levin wrote:

> Hi guys, I need help!
> At this moment, it doesn't matter how I messed everything up, but
> Development server is down.
> Had to recover operating system with a two month old backup.
> Oracle motor resides in the MkSysB backups, so some files where replaced,
> some datafiles where lost, and control file is mixed up.
> I can mount the database, but can't open it because rollback datafiles (and
> filesystem) where lost in the crash. Had to rebuild the filesystem, but I'm
> not able to rebuild the controlfile due to datafiles errors on the rollback
> tablespaces.
> I tried, with no success, to rebuild the controlfile leaving out the
> rollback datafiles, but that didn't work.
> What am I missing here???
> Is there a way I can recover the database without having to rebuild it?
> I do have a tape with a full backup (from last weekend), and I'm leaving
> that as a last resource. I also have full export from yesterday, wich I can
> download too.
> I made changes to the physical structure of the database today today, and
> would have to rebuild many filesystems to download that tape....but I will
> if I have to.
> I would appreciate any help you can give me!!!!
> please! (I've been on this matter for 6 hours already!)
> thanks,
> Vero.

Veronica,

 Normally you should be able to reopen your database by rebuilding the controlfiles WITHOUT the rollback segment tablespace if :

  1. You comment out the rollback_segments = line in your init.ora (otherwise Oracle will try to put them online)
  2. You create your controlfile with RESETLOGS (your current redo log may contain references to a rollback segment). Please understand that this will be bad for the integrity of your data. Typically, if a transaction was going on at the moment of the crash, it will have been 'auto-committed' instead of being rolled back as you would expect since Oracle will become unable to undo the changes. Have your users check everything, and perhaps it would be wise to force constraints to be checked.

 Then you should be able to recreate your rollback segment tablespace and your rollback segments.

Good luck.

--
HTH,

Stephane Faroult