Re:HELP!!! : Can't start database - Rollback Datafiles are m

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 14:29:04 -0800

Veronica,

    First things first, calm down.

    Second, assuming your control file hasn't been totally blasted to hell from when you started, try the following:

    0) shutdown the DB
    1) make a backup
    2) in the init.ora file, find the rollback_segement line & comment it out,
we don't want the database looking for them.
    3) Startup mount the database.
    4) alter database datafile <fill_in_the_file_name> offline drop;
    5) repeat 4 as mant times as necessary;
    6) alter database open;
    7) create rollback segment sys1 tablespace system;
    8) alter rollback segment sys1 online;
    9) drop tablespace <your_old_rollback_segment_tablespace) including
contents;
  1. create tablespace rbs datafile <fill_in_a_name> <as_well_as_the_rest_of_the_stuff>;
  2. create rollback segment <all_of_the_normal_stuff>;
  3. repeat 11 as often as needed per parameter in 2;
  4. shutdown
  5. make a backup
  6. undo step 2
  7. startup DB
  8. Miller time.

DickG.

Author: Veronica Levin <vlevin_at_victoria.com.ni>
Date:       1/31/2003 1:01 PM

Hi guys, I need help!
At this moment, it doesn't matter how I messed everything up, but Development server is down.
Had to recover operating system with a two month old backup. Oracle motor resides in the MkSysB backups, so some files where replaced, some datafiles where lost, and control file is mixed up. I can mount the database, but can't open it because rollback datafiles (and filesystem) where lost in the crash. Had to rebuild the filesystem, but I'm not able to rebuild the controlfile due to datafiles errors on the rollback tablespaces.
I tried, with no success, to rebuild the controlfile leaving out the rollback datafiles, but that didn't work. What am I missing here???
Is there a way I can recover the database without having to rebuild it? I do have a tape with a full backup (from last weekend), and I'm leaving that as a last resource. I also have full export from yesterday, wich I can download too.
I made changes to the physical structure of the database today today, and would have to rebuild many filesystems to download that tape....but I will if I have to.
I would appreciate any help you can give me!!!! please! (I've been on this matter for 6 hours already!) thanks,
Vero.

Author: Veronica Levin
  INET: vlevin_at_victoria.com.ni

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jan 31 2003 - 16:29:04 CST