RE: RMAN - problems restoring to clone server

From: <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:57:00 -0800

There really are a number of ways to do this. Another gotcha - make sure the OS versions are the same otherwise you will have to relink the oracle software.

Go to metalink and type in NSR_SERVER and you will find a really useful note: 120188.1 "How To Restore A Database To A Second Node Using RMAN and Legato Networker"

You will not have to create to the RMAN catalog locally. As long as the RMAN binaries are there you will be able to run rman and connect to a remote RMAN catalog. Of course, this implies that you have your Net8 listener and clients (tnsnames.ora) setup appropriately. If you run: rman and you get a prompt and can successfully do the following connect rcvcat user/pass_at_databaselinkforrmancatalog connected successfully

Then you are using the rman catalog in a remote database (i.e. another host)
- no problem.

There are specific commands to link networker libraries to oracle libraries and you can do this relinking without the rman catalog or a database - just the oracle software and networker libraries.

The following is create granted NSR_SERVER is where the backup was done. Since you don't have a database or rman locally you will have to run rman with a connect command as above.

NSR_SERVER as the tape device/dbcat server NSR_CLIENT as the to-be-clone target server

Also, you likely will have to set your dbid to restore the correct control file.

See below:

disaster recover mgm with rman

Hi,
I simulate a disaster recover by losing all datafile, online redo and controlfile.
The db was backed up on tape and after that only redos were. I remove all db files and try to restore/recover with following

connect target /;
connect catalog system/manager_at_obk;
run {
debug on;
set command id to "REC_DB";
allocate channel ch1 type "SBT_TAPE"
parms "ENV=(NSR_DATA_VOLUME_POOL=RC)";
shutdown abort;
startup pfile=/opt/oracle/admin/instances/omc/pfile/initomc.ora nomount; restore controlfile;
alter database mount;
restore database;
recover database;
# Complete this last step only if no more archived logs need to be applied. alter database open resetlogs;
}

I got the error:

EXEC SQL AT RCVCAT begin dbms_rcvman . setDatabase ( upper ( :dbname:dbname_i ) , :rlscn , :rltime , :fhdbi:fhdbi_i ) ; end ; sqlcode=-20005
setDatabase: db_id is null
krmicomp: error 6004 signalled during compilation krmicomp: error 3002 signalled during compilation

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure during compilation of command
RMAN-03013: command type: restore
RMAN-03002: failure during compilation of command
RMAN-03013: command type: IRESTORE
RMAN-06004: ORACLE error from recovery catalog database: RMAN-20005: target database name is ambiguous
RMAN-06097: text of failing SQL statement: begin dbms_rcvman . setDatabase ( upper ( :dbname:dbname_i ) , :rlscn , :rltime , :fhdbi:fhdbi_i ) ; end ; RMAN-06099: error occurred in source file: krmk.pc, line: 9140

Recovery Manager complete.
krmxcd: xc=6807624

Thanks in advance for help.

Hi,

Try to start the database in nomount from svrmgr and then connect with rman.

Harvinder

Hi,

you have coonected to the target before starting your restore operation and same time you are trying shutdown database inside the program. i think RMAN is confused about null db name .

you can shutdown and statrtup with nomount your target database before starting your job .

Hope this helps.

Pramod Gudula
pgudula_at_hotmail.com
Pramod.Gudula_at_colesmyer.com.au
ColesMyer Pty Ltd.
Australia

Thanks for suggestions,
but I tried to do what you suggest before posting my mail and It didn't work.
I try again this morning with same result. Bye

You need to recover the controlfile from the recovery catalog using the set dbid.

Try the following:

svrmgrl> connect internal
connected
svrmgrl> starutp nomount
exit
rman
RMAN> set dbid = <integer>
RMAN> connect target / catalog
allocate channel(s)
restore controlfile to 'apsolute path'
allocate channel d1 type disk
replicate controlfile from 'absolute path' sql 'alter database mount';
allocate channel
restore database
recover database
etc.....

Reem Munakash
Electronic Support

OK,
catching right dbid it works!
Thanks.

Author: Gary Jackson
  INET: fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com

  INET: Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jan 31 2003 - 12:57:00 CST