RE: Making dispatchers re-read tnsnames.ora?

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:35:17 -0800

Jeremiah,

I have implemented an ONS service that serves the US and Asia, with one primary and one secondary, managing about 250 aliases to about 100 instances and serving about 3000 clients - mostly PCs and about 100 UNIX/NT servers. Planning to expand this to EU as well with their own primary/secondary ONS, and scripts to sync up the aliases. The Servers are DNS aliased so I can move them around during maintenance or downtimes - setting up another DNS server, loading up the TNS Names, and switching the DNS alias to the new box is a cinch. The primary serves upto about 22,000 requests per day. Cut and paste from status:

Server has been running for: 75 days 2 hours 9 minutes 59.21 seconds

Requests received:                        16528325

ONS is not without its downsides and quirks - found out that (a) both servers need to be in the same time zone (b) hard to trace timing issues (i.e. ONS response for remote clients), (c) needs some fixes to the repository when switching servers, as the server name rather than the DNS alias is stored in the table (d) ONS support within Oracle is rare/non-existent, and is not wide-spread among the Oracle community as well.

However, as Rich mentioned, it is quite failure-proof and chugs along merrily without any issues as long as it is setup correctly. Btw, I had implemenented the same method in far-away Brunei on a smaller scale. We wouldn't have been able to perform many major upgrades (server migration from Sequent to Solaris, box migrations, etc.) without ONS.

I am on 8.1.7 - not sure what 9i provides.... I did see a DUMP_LDAP command in NAMESCTL - haven't played with that though.

Hth,
John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

I don't know what the future holds for me, but I do know who holds my future!

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com