RE: investigating database lockup

From: Nick Wagner <Nick.Wagner_at_quest.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:34:12 -0800

Do you have Oracle 9i Supplemental logging turned on?

Also information about high water mark, and extent information, data dictionary upkeep... what are the stats of the table storage clause? -----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 11:43 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

This morning I have experienced a couple of strange lockups of our database. The symptoms were the database was nonresponsive to any activity, freeze on login to sqlplus, active sessions freeze as soon as they interact with the db. There is no alert log activity. The systems cpu usage soars to 100%, and an oracle process, once a shared server and once a dedicated server, is dominating the usage(info gathered from top).

The first time I killed the shared server process, and the database picked up and operated normally. Then a half hour later the dedicated connection popped up. The dedicated connection was owned by one of our oltp processes that pretty well runs without issue 24/7, so I decided to bounce the db to hopefully clear up the issue.

Our system is Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris 8. In short, I am hoping to get some ideas in tracking down what happened. I have some sql scripts that I have used to identify problem sessions/sql in the past. They focus on v$session, v$sess_io, and v$sqltext. Unfortunately, these did me little good because while the trouble was occurring I couldn't interact with the database while the sessions were active.

I am soliciting actively for any Hints, Tips, or Ideas you may have,

Thanks,
Steve McClure

Author: Nick Wagner
  INET: Nick.Wagner_at_quest.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jan 30 2003 - 14:34:12 CST