RE: Oracle, Siebel and rule-based optimization

From: Cunningham, Gerald <Gerald.Cunningham_at_usi.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:20:07 -0800

Hi there,

We run quite a bit of Siebel here, against everything from 7.3.4 to 8.1.7. They all run rule-based. We have set optimizer mode to CHOOSE and analyzed tables in the past - performance got dramatically worse!

You can probably get some individual statements to run better cost-based, but the app as a whole does run better rule based.

One thing to watch out for - Siebel creates all objects using default storage clauses ("to save space" I was told by a Siebel consultant, since there are typically hundreds of unused tables). Go with LMT to be safe. I learned the hard way, with a database that contained more than 2 MILLION extents. Had to rebuild with LMT... even coalescing a TS took days... (learned some internal stuff tho')

Author: Cunningham, Gerald
  INET: Gerald.Cunningham_at_usi.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jan 30 2003 - 13:20:07 CST