Re: Borderline OT - Unix for Oracle at home

From: Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 09:05:49 -0800

I agree w/ Ron. Intel Linux is the least cost alternative. I just dumped an old Sparc 5 and bought a PIII 450 128mb ram for $139 + shipping. You can't beat the cost of old intel machines, plus I can get hardware/software anywhere. Gene

>>> RROGERS_at_galottery.org 01/30/03 11:30AM >>>
Dan,
I have an intel 850mz with 512 Ram 4 disks, 1-20g 2-40g and 1 80g and a SCSI Cdrom and SCSI 4mm tape drive Loaded with RedHat 7.2 and Oracle 8.1.7.
It contains the same data as the production server and is faster by 3 fold. The production is Dell 6300 450 mz 1 Gig and 2 Raid1 and 5 Raid5 drives.
I use the Linux box to practice and play and learn the features of 8i for implimentation on to the production servers. I think Linux is the way to go. The initial cost and upgrade costs are really in-expensive. Ron

>>> Dan.Fink_at_mdx.com 01/30/03 10:14AM >>>
I am looking to add a unix box to my collection of wintel machines at home.
It will be used solely for running/testing Oracle, so I don't need bells &
whistles. My thoughts are either Linux/intel or Sun Ultra workstation. While
it would be convenient to be able to network it into a DSL configuration, it
is not essential. My original thought was a Linux desktop, but I can also
get Ultra 5 or 10 workstations on ebay for less than $500.

Anyone having experience good/bad/ugly for this type of task? All tips,
challenges, things to consider are greatly appreciated.

Dan Fink

Author: Ron Rogers
  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org

Author: Gene Sais