RE: Middle Tier spawning sessions, possible performance issues

From: Adrian Roe <Adrian.Roe_at_telewest.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 07:45:10 -0800

250 connections from the middle tier does sound a bit suspect, way over the top. I'm assuming 'spawns' relates to establishing connections as and when required and then disconnecting when done. I think you will find that there is quite an Oracle overhead in handling all of the connect/disconnect requests that Oracle is coping with in a non connection pooled environment.

Ideally, you shouldn't be spawning connection from the middle tier. You should look at connection pooling ie. configure a fixed pool of connections per middle tier server, 20/40/whatever (and have more than one middle tier server, load balanced) and have these connect when the app/web server starts up. You then round robin the connections to the clients when required, and throw them back in the pool when finished.

Ade

Author: <rgaffuri_at_cox.net
  INET: rgaffuri_at_cox.net

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Live Life in Broadband
www.telewest.co.uk

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail may not represent those of the company. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.

Author: Adrian Roe
  INET: Adrian.Roe_at_telewest.co.uk

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jan 30 2003 - 09:45:10 CST