Strange Problem: ORA-00020 Max Processes

From: Steve Perry <sperry_at_sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:08:51 -0800

"Take Care of your DBAs"I'm curious if anyone has run into this error before or can provide somethings I can look into to resolve. system:
SAP HR
Oracle 8.1.7.4.1
M$ 4.0 svc pack 6a

On Sunday, I applied some NT patches to the OS and rebooted the server. The last one was security rollup patch that had some "issues" with the Compaq disk array controller and the reboot choked with the Blue Screen Of Death the MS/Compaq fix to revive it was to use a Win2K installation CD and use the Recovery Console (nice hidden little tool) that allowed me to replace the bad driver with the recommended one. Restarted NT and all was well.

On Monday, I came into work and saw that we were getting max processes (ORA-00020). It has never happened before. Since I couldn't get in, other than internal and you can't select from the V$ views, I did a shutdown immediate and rebooted. The same thing happened yesterday, except I left a session connected on my PC. I queried V$session and there were only 33 sessions connected. I queried V$process and there were 79 connections (max processes is set to 80). The 33 sessions map to 33 V$process, but the others don't. Is there a way to map the v$process rows back to a program or have Oracle kill them? I haven't tried setting sqlnet.expired_time (i think that's right) to see if that will kill them.

Today, I figured out that the orphaned processes are caused by "my" sqlplus scripts from another machine (Win2K) running through MSTask. These have been running for a year without problems. The strange part is that I can run the script on the other machine directly and there's no problem. I can start the job on the Task Scheduler manually and there's no orphaned processes. BUT if the scheduler kicks the job off, the processes start growing... It doesn't happen to any other Server and there are several that are identically configured..

I've traced it, looked at the MS site and metalink. I even thought maybe netstat might show me the connections, created a tar (Oracle Support not too helpful) but haven't come up with any way to determine what is going on.

We're going to rebuild the Server in 2 weeks when we have a maintenance weekend, but that's not a solution and may not solve the problem and I hate not knowing why something is happening.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Author: Steve Perry
  INET: sperry_at_sprynet.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jan 29 2003 - 19:08:51 CST