RE: Peoplesoft & Oracle

From: Dawtrey, Lindsay L <LDawtrey_at_mail.sbic.co.za>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 04:44:39 -0800

HI Lisa
Don't worry too much about fixing up the database it will only benefit the application.
You can spread the tablespaces around, I have also found that the default install scripts shove all the indexes into one tablespace, you can go ahead and add more and spread the indexes across disks if you are getting contention on them.
You can also change the tablespaces to LMTs no problem and you can us autoextend as you see fit, it won't affect PeopleSoft (unless you switch it off and the datafiles fill up of course). You can also change SYSADM's default/sort tablespace. Redo logs can be multiplexed and moved to seperate disks. In short you can employ most of the good Oracle DBA standards without hurting Peoplesoft, it is quite flexible, some issues to be aware of are when changing default storage parameters for tables and indexes such as tablespace and initial and next extents etc, these changes also need to be made within Peoplesoft, the app will function just fine if you don't, but the next time a change (ddl) is made to that table from within PeopleSoft, it will revert back to the old settings when the table is re-created. Peoplesoft alters tables structures such as column changes, adds etc by creating and populating a 'temporary' table, dropping the original and then renaming the temporary one. I always check the generated alter script before running it anyway just to be sure that all is OK. As far as the users accounts are concerned, they are there for two tier connections via sqlnet and apply to PeopleSoft versions prior to version 8, the app connects via the userid, gets some info from ps.psdbowner, psoprdefn and pslock, it then disconnects and re-connects as the schema owner usually SYSADM if default install values were used. If the user connects via an application server, the userid in Oracle is not used as the appserver is already connected and does it's own password checking etc BUT the user still needs to exist in Oracle in the event of a password change being done, PeopleSoft issues an 'alter user' to Oracle which will choke if the user does not exist.
>From PeopleSoft 8 all users excetp developers connect via a webserver/app
server and the Oracle accounts are no longer needed, with the exception of developers, they still connect via a generic user, usually called 'people' which then re-connects as sysadm.
If the app was upgraded from 7 to 8 the users will not automatically have been deleted, also true is that when a user is removed from PeopleSoft prior to V8 the Oracle user is also not dropped, some cleaning up needs to be done here.
I have worked with PeopleSoft and Oracle for 8 years now, if you have any other problems feel free to contact my direct on ldawtrey_at_sbic.co.za <mailto:ldawtrey_at_sbic.co.za>

Hope this helps.
Lindsay

Author: Dawtrey, Lindsay L
  INET: LDawtrey_at_mail.sbic.co.za