Re: Perl - Was unix time conversion function

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:50:40 -0800

Robert,

Perl isn't really that hard.

As with any language, it can be difficult to grasp at first, but once you begin to understand it, it can be extremely powerful.

Regarding Cary's comments about the difficulty of complex Perl data structures, I would have to say that they aren't any more difficult than complex C data structures.

Data::Dumper is your friend. It can be used to print the contents and structure of any Perl data structure so that it is more easily understood.

As for Stephen Lee's comments that there's no need for Perl if you have ksh: I'll bet Stephen has a toolbox in his garage that contains a single flat blade screwdriver and no phillips screwdrivers nor any wrenches. ;)

You can do most anything in ksh: I know, I've done it. Then I learned Perl.

Jared

"Robert Freeman" <robertgfreeman_at_YAHOO.COM> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 01/27/2003 10:39 PM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Perl - Was unix time conversion function

Cary.... I once thought I wanted to do some Perl coding... So I bought a book and started to play with it. It made my head bleed... literally I had little droplets of blood emerging from my head.... They rushed me to the hospital and put me in the Perl ward where I languished for days on IV's of Mountain Dew and pulverized Ritz crackers..... it was close.

In my mind there is nothing obvious about Perl, this coming from and old C coder who did pointers and linked lists in his sleep years ago. I don't know, maybe I was having a bad day and it's time to get my "learning Perl" book out again....

Anyone else feel that way about Perl or am I a lone wolf in a Perl world?

RF