Re: Slow running query

From: Amos KABORE <akabore_at_experco.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:04:35 -0800

Ok, thanks for the test. you've right.

  Looks to me like that hurts more than it helps...     SQL> declare

      2          v_cnt           number;
      3  begin
      4          for i in 1..10000 loop
      5                  select  count(*) into v_cnt from x$dual;
      6          end loop;
      7  end;
      8  /

    Elapsed: 00:00:02.60
    SQL>
    SQL> declare

      2          v_cnt           number;
      3  begin
      4          for i in 1..10000 loop
      5                  select  count(dummy) into v_cnt from x$dual;
      6          end loop;
      7  end;
      8  /

    Elapsed: 00:00:03.72
  These are results from 9.0.1 on Solaris, but I tested it on 8.1.7 on Solaris and 9.2.0 on Windows as well, results were similar but not as pronounced. More likely, "count(*)" is optimized not to actually access the table if it isn't necessary, similar to "count(literal-expression)". Advising "count(column-name)" guarantees that column values must be read, which is only useful if column values are important...

Author: Amos KABORE
  INET: akabore_at_experco.com