RE: Perl Breakdown

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:04:59 -0800

Getting slightly off-topic now, I never said ls's output wasn't POSIX-compliant. I stated that the output itself is inconsistent, similar to the output generated from grep'ing one file versus several files. And this is highly undesirable in shells that rely on the output of one program to be the input of another (via pipes, tees, and redirects for example). Contrast this to OpenVMS' DCL that expressly prohibits the practice. Instead, an API is offered to most programs via lexical functions. Much cleaner method of scripting/programming.

And even after all this hacked mess, Unix is *still* far more stable than Winders! (couldn't resist!) :D

Rich

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com