RE: tim column in trace output

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 07:29:32 -0800

Djordje,

  1. You're right; in Oracle8, tim is measured in centiseconds (0.01s).
  2. The value is the same as that found in v$timer.hsecs.
  3. We're not sure whether the Epoch for this clock is even meaningful or not (I don't think we've been able to prove that the value resets when you do an instance restart. Perhaps the value is a modulus of a gettimeofday() value.)
  4. Item #3 has never really bothered us, because all we generally care about is *relative* tim values, not absolute ones. You can establish a mapping of tim values to wall clock values by comparing the timestamp in a '***' line to the nearest tim value to it.
  5. Oracle9i makes life a little more fun, because tim values become microsecond (0.000001s) values, and they appear to be unadulterated gettimeofday() values, with an Epoch of 00:00:00 UTC, 1 January 1970 (we *think* this is true on all platforms). Hence, it becomes easy to convert from tim values to wall clock values and back with a simple Perl script that uses str2time and time2str function calls.
  6. Finally, a minor detail correction: the tim of a given line in the trace file tells you the time at which the given cursor action *completed*. You certainly aren't incorrect by saying it's the time that something "ran," but saying "completed" is a little more precise.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:

- 2003 Hotsos Symposium, Feb 9-12 Dallas
- RMOUG Training Days 2003, Mar 5-6 Denver
- Hotsos Clinic 101, Mar 26-28 London

Author: Djordje Jankovic
  INET: djordjej_at_rogers.com

Author: Cary Millsap
  INET: cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jan 24 2003 - 09:29:32 CST