RE: BMC's Patrol

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 05:27:03 -0800

Ken,
 We have BMC Patrol in use for quite some time now.  I used to like it when I installed it about 4 years ago. Presently a co-worker is in charge. And we are pondering if we want to continue to use it.

 The first problem I ran into was that BMC was a bit late in supporting new features (LMT, Partitions etc). If the database used that feature, or was at a higher release, it would not be monitored. Even with 8.1.7 databases they used 'svrmgrl' to remotely connect so some of our early 9i databases were out. We had to have the latest version to deal with 9i which is still under testing...(may be we were late in installing the new version). But I am not sure if they fully support all the 9i new feature. Besides, only a handful of monitored parameters are of real interest to us. There are a ton of ratios that are monitored, most of them are just FYI, and make the Console look pretty with those flashing colors, I guess ;)  I am now proposing to my Damagement to de-install it and save some money. We can have our own scripts to monitor needed parameters. Or look for a inexpensive solution, if they loved to have a tool. It may not materialize, because our Capacity Planners use BMC's product that need the same Agent/Console setup. I am trying to not have to deal with the setup and customization of required Oracle Knowledge Module etc...  Also, I did talk to the Pinnacle Data Technologies (someone had posted about their DBA-In-A-Box product). The product may have a 'catchy' name, but the box really is a Pentium PC with Web interface to configure its monitoring setup/scripts, which are customizable. The box will be on the n/w, remotely running these scripts against the target databases. Not a bad idea. We might get the box for a trial run, if someone in our group finds some time...

BTW, BMC Patrol was purchased at Corporate level (long before Verizon was born. It was old GTE Corp then). The IT structure was different then, and BMC Patrol worked on various platforms and databases. Now things are way different....

Hope this helps some.

If you need more info, you may write to me off-line. Please remember to remove all footers from the list e-mail, else our SPAM Cops will catch it first.. Or use my hotmail address (kirti_deshpande at).

Author: Deshpande, Kirti
  INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com