RE: users identified by external

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 04:16:15 -0800

>It used to be (Oracle 8.0.5 think) that if you
>created a user identified by
>external (i.e.) via the OS then the user name
>begain with OPS$. and had to
>be referenced as such
>
>This does not seem to be the case in 81.1.7 on AIX.
>

>When did this change?
>
>John Dunn
>Sefas Innovation Ltd
>0117 9154267
>www.sefas.com

John,

  Older than that I believe. OPS$ has been around since at least Oracle 5 - and then the prefix was mandatory. It became optional with the os_authent_prefix (default "OPS$") parameter introduced circa Oracle 6. No problem I am aware of with 8.1.7. Check your init.ora file.

Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole

Author: Stephane Faroul