RE: over-normalized?

From: Fink, Dan <Dan.Fink_at_mdx.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:28:40 -0800

There are several good reasons to not use full normalization. Take a customer table, which contains address and phone numbers. To satisfy 3NF, you have to move city & state out and join with a zip code table. If you keep more than one phone number, you probably would move them out to a phone number table and include the type (home, work, mobile, fax, pager). In this case, the tradition wastes space, but probably improves query time.

Of course, the real question is...what is the BCHR for 3NF?

Author: Fink, Dan
  INET: Dan.Fink_at_mdx.com