RE: New Schema or New Database?

From: Grant Allen <grant_at_towersoft.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 05:49:01 -0800

> Our DBA group has recently been getting numerous requests for
> new databases (training, inventory, customer contacts, etc..)
> from different departments within the company. Our normal
> procedure is to create a new instance for the database,
> create the schema, users, etc..., set up backups and turn it
> over. However, with the volume of requests we are now
> getting, we are pondering the idea of creating just one
> instance and giving each database request its own tablespace
> and schema. (similar to informix and sybase architecture).

Glenn,

Be careful with this often-quoted truism - an Oracle schema is NOT the same as a database in Sybase, Informix, SQL Server or DB2. (For those who have heard my rant on this before, now is the time to groan and hit the Delete button).

A schema is a schema ... the same concept exists in all of the DBs mentioned above.

Apart from the problems already highlighted (no independent tuning, no independent upgrades/patches to Oracle, no fine control on some privileges (resource, dba, etc.)), there are also backup and restore problems. If sub-section A calls to say "Quick!, it's gone down the tubes, restore last night's backup", think of the complication you'll face when sub-section B says "no way". It can be done, but involves a lot more efforts (e.g. restoring to another instance, exporting the schema, then importing it - instead of just a normal restore).

If that doesn't put you off (and it doesn't have to), then try it out. Just don't refer to it as being like a database in informix of sybase :-) :-) :-)

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)

Author: Grant Allen