Re: Global names

From: Justin Cave <jcave_at_cableone.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 21:03:38 -0800

At 12:07 PM 1/22/2003, Jared.Still_at_radisys.com wrote:
> > It recently came to my attention that the DBA's where I work have
>adopted a
> > convention where the global_name of a database is the same for the
> > production, test, and development instance of that database (obviously,
> > they've turned off global naming in the init.ora). They've also set up
>the
>
>Oracle has stated for some time that global_names=true will be required
>in future versions of Oracle, and recommend that that be done now.

Do you happen to have a link to an Oracle document to that effect? I've searched tahiti and metalink, but haven't come up with anything other than documentation that says Oracle recommends global_names=true.

> > Our DBA argues that this configuration is strongly preferred by the
>majority
> > of developers since they don't have to make any changes to their code
>when they
> > move from development to QA and to test.
>
>Junior developers? If the changing the database name requires code
>changes, then
>the duhvelopers need some remedial education.

I fully agree. Unfortunately, my project can't really tell other projects to educate their developers.

Thanks!
Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting

Author: Justin Cave