RE: simple question on DDL

From: Arup Nanda <arupnanda_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:13:38 -0800

Dan,

If I may, essentially you are saying that changes to data dictionary tables have to be committed immediately regardless of the outcome of the transaction.

For instance in the following code, starting with an empty table t1

step 1: insert into table t1 values row1
step 2: create table t2
step 3: insert into table t1 values row2
step 4: rollback

At this point a select * from t1 will show only row1, since the ddl create table t2 has inserted a commit. However, the point is, my transaction should have been from step 1 through step 4, not fromn step 3 through 4. The DDL broke my txn at step 2 and another transaction started from there. The data dictionary tables were updated and they should be committed; but that commit could have been done via an "autonomous transaction", not in the same transaction the user issued.

The more I think about it, I see no point why a DDL should insert a commit. This is different from saying that DDL itself may issue a commit to its seprate transaction to update the catalog. Any thoughts on that?

Arup

Author: Arup Nanda
  INET: arupnanda_at_hotmail.com