Re: dbms_job - running jobs every 15 minutes

From: Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:14:24 -0800

If a job takes longer than the next scheduled time to execute then I see a problem. Suppose a job runs every 15 mins but runtime is 30 mins, the number of jobs will increase and compete for the same resources. I always use cron (80's kinda of control), and the 1st thing I do is check if the job is running and if it is, I exit and issue a warning email. Gene

>>> Vladimir.Begun_at_oracle.com 01/22/03 02:34PM >>> Jared.Still_at_radisys.com wrote:

>>Now as discussed, if the job is scheduled to start at 9:00 AM and
>>runbs for 5 minutes it's next_date for run #2 will be 9:20, not 9:15,

> and it
>
>>will creep 5 minutes every time.

> No, as written, my jobs start on every quarter hour, regardless of
> runtime.
>
> e.g. 09:00, 09:15, 09:30, 09:45 ...

Jared, I wanted to ask this question before but just provided a solution w/o talking too much :)

If it's regardless of runtime (it means potentially one job can consume more than 15 minutes to get things done) is it allowed to run jobs concurrently?

In case of positive asnwer, you need 4 jobs. Otherwise in case of more than 15mins runtime you'll face slipped jobs.

Regards,

--
Vladimir Begun
The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and

Author: Vladimir Begun
  INET: Vladimir.Begun_at_oracle.com

Author: Gene Sais
  INET: Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us