RE: quest SharePlex

From: Nick Wagner <Nick.Wagner_at_quest.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:40:38 -0800

Would the same thing work if you shut down the Shareplex processes after the row had chained, and restarted them before you updated the chained piece ?
-- Yes

And does Shareplex guarantee that it will never report a 1555 error regardless of how long it is shut down ?
-- No, if there are massive amounts of transactions, we can still blow rollback segments, nothing will happen to the source DB instance, but it will effect replication. Part of the implementation goes through checking the RBS to make sure that we can handle the volume and the amount of activity you are generating. We have had customers who have shut down SharePlex for 2-3 hours, and when it comes up, replicates everything during those 2-3 hours just fine... even if it has been moved into the archive logs.

yes, the supplemental logging is not the greatest thing Oracle ever did, but it was probably one of the easiest ways to implement it. Just for kicks... do a couple small batch jobs (maybe 2-3 million row changes) and see how long it takes, and how much redo it generates. Then do the same thing with Streams replicating that job... how long does it take, and how much redo is generated. Streams uses the supplemental logging, and their capture process reads from the redo logs, then puts the transaction right back into the database (in Advanced Queues) which generates more logs, then they dequeue the operation (generating more logs again) to post it to the target machine.

Author: Jonathan Lewis
  INET: jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Author: Nick Wagner
  INET: Nick.Wagner_at_quest.com