Re: filemon

From: Arup Nanda <arupnanda_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:36:44 -0800

MessageEthan,

Cool utility! Wow, thanks for sharing this with us. The timing couldn't have been more perfect. I used it immediately for a problem I was working on. I thought I would share it with everyone.

We have a little situation here, management wants a certain tuning excercise be played out. Part of the requirement was that the buffer cache should be empty before each change - a reasonable request. Since there was no way the buffer cache could be flushed, a technique (thanks to Tom Kyte) employed was to make the tablespace offline and then online again. This would flush all the blocks of the files of that tablespace. However, most people did not agree that offlining and onlining a tablespace would flush the buffers. Using filemon, I proved that it did. In filemon, I searched for the datafiles of the tablespace only. Fired up a select from a table; the files were opened and shown by filemon. Then I queried again; this time the files were not opened and queried by oracle, because the blocks were found in buffer cache. Offline, online the tablespace and repeat ... voila... the files show up again. The skeptic minds are silent now.

Thanks again.

Arup

  This may be a useful utility for those of you working with Oracle and NT. Found it while trying to diagnose issues on an AIX box which also has a program called filemon.

  http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

Author: Arup Nanda
  INET: arupnanda_at_hotmail.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jan 21 2003 - 13:36:44 CST