Re: from Non-Archive-Mode to Archive-Mode

From: Arup Nanda <arupnanda_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:15:22 -0800

Raj,

The alert log shows the log switching, which is the indicator to how much redo has been generated. Another method is to see this figure from v$log_history. The objective is to identify the rate of redo switch and therefore, the rate of redo generation. The original poster asked how to estimate the archive log generatoin and I answered that.

However, a slip was the inclusion of log_checkpoints_to_alert, which is admittedly not necessary. However, the content of the post was factually correct. Kirti, in a private mail, was kind enough to let me know of the possible confusion and I appreciate that. Hope that clarifies the response.

Arup

> Arup,
>
> My initial reaction was that you were suggesting setting the parameter to
> know the frequency of your log switches. But now to clearly understand
your
> point of view, and for my curiousity, how does one derive the amount of
> redo log generated in bytes using the SCN Numbers?
>
> Thanks
> Raj
>

> "Arup Nanda"
> <arupnanda_at_ho To: Multiple recipients of
list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

Author: Arup Nanda
  INET: arupnanda_at_hotmail.com