Auto start failing AGAIN... shared realm does not exist....

From: Bob Metelsky <bmetelsky_at_cps92.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:46:55 -0800

My scenario

Fresh install of w2k server, sp 3 high end machine, twin 2G processers 4G ram ...
Installed Oracle 8.17 release 3, Install went perfectly smooth built 9 databases connected and imported all data I could connect at will ... All was well

The problem:
when the machine reboots, the service and database does not start automatically.If I try to
sqlplus user/pass_at_instance
I get the
"Oracle not available", "shared realm does not exist" (in other words the dbs did not start)

I can start manually using
startdb.bat
svrmgrl.exe command='@C:\db_startup\initdb8i.sql'

initdb8i.sql
connect internal/pass_at_db8i
startup pfile=R:\OR_8I\ADMIN\DB8I\pfile\init.ora exit

The instance starts and all is well

Ive deleted all the services using Oradim and rebooted, then recreated using

rem D:\install\setODIM.bat
set db=someinstance
sleep 1
ORADIM -DELETE -SID %db%
sleep 2
ORADIM -NEW -SID %db% -INTPWD passwd -STARTMODE auto -PFILE D:\OraHome1\admin\%db%\PFILE\init%db%.ora -TIMEOUT 90 sleep 2
ORADIM -SHUTDOWN -SID %db% -USRPWD passwd -SHUTTYPE srvc,inst -SHUTMODE i
sleep 2
ORADIM -STARTUP -SID %db% -USRPWD passwd -STARTTYPE srvc,inst -PFILE D:\OraHome1\admin\%db%\PFILE\init%db%.ora echo off
echo.
echo Done creating oradim entries for %db% !

If I create one service, using the above batch file I can connect to the database,
eg ORADIM -STARTUP -SID %db% -USRPWD passwd -STARTTYPE srvc,inst -PFILE D:\OraHome1\admin\%db%\PFILE\init%db%.ora but when the machine reboots and I try to connect I get the oracle not available

here are my registry settings
http://209.123.6.84/srvreg.jpg

This is very frustrating as I had this problem on a server that had the OS upgraded and I could never get the autostart working correctly This is a new machine and I can reboot at will or make any changes (no one is using this server yet) so I really need to get this working.

I am at a loss... any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks
bob

Author: Bob Metelsky
  INET: bmetelsky_at_cps92.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Jan 20 2003 - 15:46:55 CST