RE: Server specifications

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 07:14:36 -0800

Hussain - If I understand your situation correctly, you have an operational system that you feel is inadequate to support the current load, and you wish to receive some information that will help you "prove" that it is inadequate? Is that accurate?

   It doesn't really happen that way. Your current server may be inadequate for the current load. It may also simply be poorly tuned. I would suggest you learn how to tune the system first. That way, if you find something, you'll be a hero and save your organization money.

   I have found the STATSPACK utility that comes with Oracle to be very good. And you don't have buy anything, just install it. It also reports the number of transactions. Are you familiar with STATSPACK?

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com <mailto:dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com>

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Jan 20 2003 - 09:14:36 CST