Re: quest SharePlex

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 02:33:37 -0800

Thanks for the reply.

That covers the object/data_object id problem, and gives the ability to identify which columns in the dump are the primary key columns.

But when you update a row, the redo will only contain the primary key if the primary key has been modified, so you should hardly ever find it in the redo.

Does this mean you trap the primary key on every insert and keep a cross reference between primary keys and rowids somewhere, or do you do a lookup back into the database in real time to translate rowids into primary keys ?

Oracle, of course, gets around this problem in version 9 with the 'supplemental logging' feature - which Shareplex could probably use to even better effect, but how do you do it before 9 ?

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Coming soon a new one-day tutorial: