Re: BCHR Tuning

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:48:42 -0800

Wow!

Thanks Jonathan, for a breakdown on the cause and cure of buffer busy waits.

I was taken in at one time, ( long time ago) by some of these rules of thumb and quick tips, but it became apparent that there's really no such thing for tuning.

The only rules of thumb I have any more are educated guesses used when designing a new database. And since I've had little opportunity to do that in the past 2 years', I'm hoping I remember how. :)

The 'quick tips' that Mr Niemiec, and by extension, TUSC, advocates, are driven by the belief that all that is needed to make everything work perfectly is to follow a checklist and get all the numbers in order.

If that's all it takes, then why are there DBA's? Just hire some MCSE's that can follow a checklist. This methodology implies that there is no science involved, just buy a recipe and be sure to follow instructions. It almost seems like the point is that anyone can maintain your database systems, if they just buy the right book.

The abstract for one of Niemic's presentation at IOUG states that folks trying encourage others to use some intelligence in maintaining their systems must have some vested interest.

This works both ways I guess. :)

Again Jonathan, thank your clear and concise insights.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com