RE: Caught YAPPing

From: <Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:44:00 -0800

Thank You for your response Cary. You say "The important thing is that you have to segment your transactions into different lists". I did convey something similar to the requestor. I have now put the ball back in their court, by telling them to identify some crucial functions or precise statements that they would need to monitor as such. I dont expect to hear back from them.

Anyways, this is a request from the management, and they like to see things in graphs with spikes, and ratios. I got a crude way to do this for now. I am presently capturing some baseline, acceptable wait times for some of the key wait events. I then plan to utilize statspack to take snapshots every hour, and code for scripts to query the underlying tables. If anything exceeds the accepted values, shoot out alerts. Then, I plan to use the statsviewer tool (http://www.geocities.com/alexdabr/spstd.html)

Thank you for your insight. I look forward to the book.

Raj

                    "Cary Millsap"
                    <cary.millsap_at_h        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    otsos.com>             cc:
                    Sent by:               Subject:     RE: Caught YAPPing
                    root_at_fatcity.co

                    January 17,
                    2003 01:50 PM
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

Raj,

You can of course compute the average any list of numbers. However, if your list contains data from fundamentally different types of data, then your average will be meaningless. Example:

A = {Response times for program 'a'} = {20:58.13, 42:19.28, 34:11.23} B = {Response times for program 'b'} = {00:00.79, 00:00.42, 00:00.65}

Then we have:

Mean(A)         = 1,949.547 seconds
Mean(B)         =     0.620 seconds
Mean(A union B) =   975.083 seconds

So the real question is "does Mean(A union B) really mean anything?" The answer is no, because A and B come from radically different distributions. If you want to see some real problems here, imagine what happens when B has 15,000 elements in it per day and A has 20 per day. What does the combined average tell you? Nothing much, really, except for contrivances like...

This type of phenomenon is an important part of the reason why any method that uses count-based ratios (i.e., "hit ratios") to tune a database is an unreliable method.

On the other hand, if you're recording response times for only a single particular type of transaction (e.g., one list only for A, and another list only for B), then the averages (Mean(A) and Mean(B)) should be extremely instructive. The important thing is that you have to segment your transactions into different lists.

For response times, the criterion for splitting a list like "A union B" into separate lists like "A" and "B" is that the data in each individual list should fit the so-called "exponential distribution". To figure out whether a given list fits that distribution, you can either dust off your old statistics books, or you can wait until about June and use the Perl code that'll be supplied in the "Optimizing Response Time" book (O'Reilly) I'm working on.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:
- 2003 Hotsos Symposium, Feb 9-12 Dallas