RE: Database Verification

From: <Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 07:18:57 -0800

Just use RMAN to backup your databases. It will warn you about corruptions.

Raj

                    "Stephane
                    Faroult"               To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <sfaroult_at_oriol        cc:
                    ecorp.com>             Subject:     RE: Database Verification
                    Sent by:
                    root_at_fatcity.co

                    January 17,
                    2003 08:59 AM
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

>I am considering the appropriate way to do database
>corruption prevention.
>
>Should I use one or more of the following as a
>proactive measure ?
> a) Export
> b) DBVerify
> c) Analyze table <table_name> validate structure
>cascade
>
>Any advice ?
>
>Thanks,
>
>PH

Pui Ho,

   The only way you can be 'proactive' concerning corruption is to have a sound backup strategy - if you really feel nervous about your hardware, first change it, and then use archive logging and the rest; export is a bad solution, because it will be long to restore. By definition, a corruption doesn't give any warning (it's even worth than earthquakes). If you want to be very reactive, set something to regularly scan your alert.log file.

Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole

  INET: Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com