RE: Database tracking

From: Post, Ethan <Ethan.Post_at_ps.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:40:05 -0800

I concur, I have used MRTG for this in the past, now I have an Access database that I connect to via ODBC and get my graphs. They are very handy for trending and analysis, If someone says I had a problem yesterday around 3 pm I go look at the charts and I usually see something out of whack. I can also look at my data over longer periods just like MRTG and RRD, I basically copied the storage logic I saw in those tools so I get a lot of history without the overhead of a ton of storage space. I opted to keep my data in the database because I can literally install the whole system in about 2 minutes on the average database. With MRTG and RRD it takes a bit more to get things set up.

I have another system which stores 25 stats from the from the tables mentioned below in a single row and takes a snapshot every hour. 365 days * 24 rows per day is not really that much storage. This allows me to quickly determine what is increasing (V$SYSSTAT) and what is the impact
(V$SYSTEM_EVENT). This can also be deployed in a couple of minutes on the
average database.

Finally I usually determine some other type of metric to gather data on, for example, J.D. Edwards OneWorld performance will be most impacted by batch jobs which are listed in the F986110 table. I have an report which gets the # of jobs, total run time and average run time for grouped by job. I can quickly see if particular jobs need to be tuned, are running more often or just taking longer for some reason.

Most systems have some key components which impact performance the most. I use of mix of the options above depending on the requirements at hand. As far as alerting goes I pretty much send everything to the Oracle alert log and I have a very nice script which allows me to respond to various patterns in the file including running commands, sending email/pages or just logging the event somewhere else.

Author: Post, Ethan
  INET: Ethan.Post_at_ps.net