RE: Database tracking

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:54:58 -0800

I concur with the recommendation to use STATSPACK but you might want to augment it. I take STATSPACK snapshots every 15 minutes and if there's a performance problem caused by a few bad queries I can usually isolate the offenders. But constant fined-grained STATSPACK snapshots can be a lot of overhead so you may want something more lightweight.

I've developed a DBA web app which queries V$SYSSTAT and V$SYSTEM_EVENT every minute. I assume regular queries on these tables do not impact system performance enough to worry about. I record the result sets from these queries outside of Oracle in a very light weight RRDTool "round robin database." (RRDTool is free,
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/.) From this I can produce 55 graphs on demand for 5 different time spans: daily; weekly; monthly; quarterly; and yearly. Of course damagement loves graphs/pictures. The storage needed for one plus year's worth of minute to minute V$SYSSTAT/V$SYSTEM_EVENT query data only comes to 3.2MB for each database instance being monitored. A cool thing to do is produce a graph with a visually obvious spike in some V$SYSTEM_EVENT wait statistic at say 3:15PM yesterday then correlate that graphic spike to a specific problem query as recorded in STATSPACK. It provides nice "smoking gun" incriminating evidence to be used for putting duhvelopers on trial.

Steve Orr
Bozeman, MT

Author: Orr, Steve
  INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com