Re: Ideas for future authors

From: Stephen Andert <StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 07:54:56 -0800

I know I've really enjoyed the technical reviews that I've done. I have done about a half dozen or so and I can say that I have learned things from every one. I would like to write books, but the muse has not given me a technical topic yet, so I try to stay involved in tech reviews when I get the chance (I don't care how much or little I get paid, a copy of the book when done is nice). I try and take something from each book I read whether before or after publishing and DO SOMETHING with it. The best example is the SQL*Loader book I reviewed for Jonathan Gennick. The chapter on tuning sparked some testing and I found a predictable way to significantly speed up data loads when direct is not an option.

Stephen Andert

>>> jkstill_at_cybcon.com 01/15/03 09:54PM >>>

I can certainly echo the sentiments expressed in this article.

Writing a book ( as a coauthour in my case) was something I had wanted to do, and harbored no illusions of quick riches. Many hundreds
of hours on that book netted me about.. lemme see here...

Well, a night shift at Starbucks would have paid nearly as well. But then
again, I didn't do it for the money.

Rachel tried to scare me away from it, but it didn't work.

Technical editing is enjoyable, also doesn't pay too well, but is a lot less stressful than trying to meet a writing deadline.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

Author: Stephen Andert