RE: Minimum required init.ora parameters -- "COMPATIBLE" not

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 06:23:47 -0800

Well, actually 8.1.7 can run without COMPATIBLE.
Quoting from the 8.1.7 Reference Manual [which is actually the 8.1.6 Reference Manual] :

COMPATIBLE
Parameter type: String
Syntax: COMPATIBLE = release_number
Parameter class: Static
Default value: 8.0.0
Range of values: Default release to current release
Oracle Parallel Server: Multiple instances must have the same value
COMPATIBLE lets you use a new release, while at the same time guaranteeing
backward compatibility with an earlier release. This ability is helpful in
case it becomes necessary to revert to the earlier release.
This parameter specifies the release with which the Oracle server must
maintain compatibility. It allows you to take advantage of the maintenance
improvements of a new release immediately in your production systems
without testing the new functionality in your environment. Some features of
the current release may be restricted.
When using the standby database feature, this parameter must have the same
value on the primary and standby databases, and the value must be 7.3.0.0.0
or higher. The default value is the earliest release with which
compatibility can be guaranteed.
The value of COMPATIBLE must be set to 8.1 or higher in order to use stored
columns of UROWID type. You can use ROWID pseudocolumns for index-organized
tables regardless of the parameter setting.

And in this database :
$ uname -a
SunOS smpydd 5.8 Generic_108528-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise
$ sqlplus '/ as sysdba'
SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Thu Jan 16 10:15:15 2003
(c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
Connected to:
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.2.0 - Production
With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.7.2.0 - Production
SQL>show parameter compatible
NAME TYPE VALUE
------------------------------------ ------- ------------------------------
compatible string 8.0.0
SQL> !grep 'compatible' $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init$ORACLE_SID.ora
#Not using compatible 7.3.3 in 8.1.7 Hemant 07-June
#compatible=7.3.3.0.0

[This database was "mig"rated from 7.3.3 "in place"]

I have some databases where I did NOT have COMPATIBLE set when upgrading
from 8.0.x and 8.1.6 to 8.1.7.  I do have COMPATIBLE set in these databases
where I am now using FGAC/VPD/JVM etc  ---- e.g.

DB : "ORA817" [8.1.7.0.0] on "itsys" Tru64 [5.1]
[initORA817.ora edited to comment-out COMPATIBLE and
instance restarted]
SQL> show parameter compatible
NAME TYPE VALUE
------------------------------------ ------- ------------------------------
compatible string 8.1.0
SQL> shutdown immediate
Database closed.
Database dismounted.
startup
ORACLE instance shut down.
SQL> ORACLE instance started.
Total System Global Area 25248740 bytes
Fixed Size 103396 bytes
Variable Size 24784896 bytes
Database Buffers 204800 bytes
Redo Buffers 155648 bytes
Database mounted.
ORA-00402: database changes by release 8.1.0.0.0 cannot be used by release
8.0.0.0.0
ORA-00405: compatibility type "New Image Format"

DB : "R11PRD8I" [8.1.7.0.0 32-bit] on "chrtdw" [Solaris 8]
WAS running without COMPATIBLE set explicitly. COMPATIBLE was set later to
enable LOGON_TRIGGER.

DB "R11PRD" [8.1.7.0.0 32-bit] on "csmdw" [Solaris 8]
WAS running without COMPATIBLE set explicitly. COMPATIBLE was set later to
enable FGAC/VPD.

So, COMPATIBLE is, strictly, not required although, in real life, most 8.1.7
database would be using some feature or the other which requires it.
Hemant

At 07:53 AM 14-01-03 -0800, you wrote:
Hemant - I believe this applies to Oracle8i versions. The key point is "try
it". If you have a small test database you can bounce, it will take you just
a couple of minutes to comment out the COMPATIBLE parameter and bounce the
database. I agree with you that my assumption was that it was unnecessary --
until I proved it for myself.
   In college I was really looking forward to my philosophy class. Thought I
would learn the secret of life or something. Anyway one of the main ideas I
recall was a bunch of Greek philosophers (Aristotle ?) that spent an
afternoon speculating on how many teeth a horse should have, and wrote up
the discussion. My reaction was "go count them". If you think you have a bad
horse, take a survey. Oh well, the career paths for a philosophy major are
limited, so I guess I didn't miss much.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams@lifetouch.com

Author: Hemant K Chitale
  INET: hkchital@singnet.com.sg

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services
Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Hemant K Chitale INET: hkchital@singnet.com.sg Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru@fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jan 16 2003 - 08:23:47 CST