Re: Important - Oracle Pricing on Standby/DR/Failover

From: Jay Hostetter <jhostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 05:09:10 -0800

  I just renewed our Cognos support. It took 2 emails and a 10 minute phone call (of which 8 minutes were spent talking football - go Eagles!).   Contrast this with our Oracle support "negotiations" which have been going on since SEPTEMBER! I'll spare you the details, but let's just say that I am extremely frustrated with this licensing subject. I've watched the Software Investment Guide change several times during the last few months. It seems like the rules that you are trying to play by are constantly changing - now I see this reference to "Price Hold" for named users - where does that come from? I think management would switch to another DB vendor in a heartbeat just so they could understand what they're paying for. Is licensing for those *other* databases just as complicated (not that I advocate an attempted migration, mind you)?   The one thing I've learned in this process is to always run your numbers. Our contract said a 10% discount, but the numbers didn't reflect it.   Does anybody go through a 3rd party for buying their Oracle support? I know that vendors can resell licenses - can they resell support too? I'm thinking that it might be less of a headache to deal with a vendor than with Oracle.

Jay

>>> tjambu_fatcity_at_yahoo.com.au 01/16/03 12:13AM >>>
Hi Jared

I have a reply from someone who does not want to be identified. This is his case.

His company tried reasoning and discussing it with Oracle and even tried a compromised (which I would not be happy with)

He company put forward to Oracle to pay for the full licence on the production server AND the minimum for the standby. In the case the standby was a single CPU and so the minimum licence is a 5 User Licence. This was to account for any DBA connection to check the integrity of the standby database. Even this was not acceptable to Oracle. How greedy can you be? Can you say "Gordon Gekko"?

BTW The following information applies to all You need to know the difference between NAMED USER and NAMED USER PLUS. (extract from SELECT*Star)

Gone also is the "Named User" license. In its place is "Named User Plus. Companies wanting to purchase additional user licenses for the same machine will need to convert their Named User licenses to Named User Plus licenses if they do not have a "Price Hold" on the license. The minimum number of licenses must be the greater of either the actual number of users or the Minimum Named User Plus (25 per CPU) for the server.

Minimum Named User (Enterprise Edition) per CPU used to be 10 but now the minimum Named User Plus per CPU is 25. In some instances, customers are forced to buy more licenses than is required when looking for additional licenses.

The key difference between Named User and Named User Plus is that Named User does not allow for batch processing whereas Named User Plus does.

ta
tony

At 08:57 PM 15/01/2003 -0800, Jared Still wrote:

>Thanks Tony.
>
>Looks like Larry E is trying to boost revenues in a down
>economy by any means necessary.
>
>You're right, this doesn't seem right.
>
>Jared

**DISCLAIMER
This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail message. The contents do not represent the opinion of D&E except to the extent that it relates to their official business.

Author: Jay Hostetter
  INET: jhostetter_at_decommunications.com