RE: Database tracking

From: Fink, Dan <Dan.Fink_at_mdx.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:54:05 -0800

Tom,

    Not a good idea. Since new tables can be added/dropped and the queries from the data dictionary views can be poor performers, you really don't get a good idea of the actual speed of operation. The execution of this query once every 5 minutes will have a negative impact on performance. Kind of like running out in to traffic every 5 minutes, stopping a passing car and asking how long it took to go from the last intersection to here. And my mother taught me never to run out in to traffic!

    Why not query the memory each day/half-day to find the 10 highest consumers of resource? or 10 longest running queries? You can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. By tracking similar queries, you can note the change in resource/time. At the same time, you identify the most expensive sql and thus the 10 best candidates for tuning!

Dan Fink

Author: Fink, Dan
  INET: Dan.Fink_at_mdx.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jan 15 2003 - 12:54:05 CST