RE: Parallel Replication of Single Table

From: Larry Elkins <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:03:41 -0800

Waleed,

Initiated from the target side. Parallel DML is enabled with an alter session. And you know it's using parallelism by watching the sessions spawned off on each side, the work they are doing, and the PQ stats.

Another member of the list I work with (a darn genius I tell you, with a mind that never forgets anything, never forgetting any nuance or issue ;-) ) spent a little time this afternoon ripping 230 million rows from a large dimension across the db's. That was the workaround because the standard replication "as is" just couldn't handle the recent increase in the volume of changes. So normal replication couldn't keep up. And probably right now he is switching the objects, renaming and handling the grants -- our only occasional window before nightly stuff kicks in. So do a full copy from the staging DB. We (or maybe just I, though I'm sure the other person would have preferred to be doing other things) want to avoid having to do that -- we would rather keep up with "normal" replication. And we normally do, just a little more changes now and for the next 6 months or so. And then the feeds will get things up to normal and the volume of changes, at least with regard to updates, will decrease significantly.

Regards,

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl_at_flash.net
214.954.1781